Details the history and development of the Canada Pension Plan, how it is administered, and specific information about the types of benefits available
This Quick Reference provides a useful overview and new insight for employers and employees who have to deal with the somewhat unfamiliar terrain of public pensions and employment insurance, especially where those programs directly intersect with employment situations. The Guide details the history and development of the Canada Pension Plan, how it is administered, and specific information about the types of benefits available as well as the manner and timing of benefit payments.
In this newly updated edition, the authors have tried to reflect a more developed view about the state of public pension plans in light of rapid changes to the economy and investment strategies. This edition also includes several chapters designed to assist employers, unions, employees and the self-employed in understanding the Employment Insurance Act
: Employment Insurance benefits, EI adjudicative process, Record of Employment (ROE), structuring settlements and damages, federal work-sharing program, private pension plans, and the future of Employment Insurance.What's New in this edition
- Updated assessment of the health of Canada's public pension system and a re-statement of the history of public pensions in Canada;
- Initial review of the Government of Ontario's Ontario Retirement Pension Plan ("ORPP"), which may have a profound impact on pensions in Ontario, with a ripple effect throughout Canada;
- Improved and expanded explanation of the CPP Disability Vocational Rehabilitation ("VR") Program and CPP Disability coverage for disabled Canadians and their dependents;
- Clarification of "excepted employment" for the purposes of CPP contributions
- Refreshed description of the general rules regarding CPP pension payments – especially in light of the increase in average retirement age - as well as improved information regarding QPP entitlement
- Expanded review of the Post-Retirement Benefit ("PRB"), first introduced in 2012
- Description of privacy considerations
- Updated review of Old Age Security ("OAS"), the "first pillar" of the retirement income system and a detailed look at the future of retirement income, including the viability of the CPP and the anticipated emergence of the ORPP
- Update on EI benefits, including extended eligibility for Compassionate Care
- Clarification of employer eligibility for the "Work-Sharing Program"